The USA Parkway was originally a privately built, six mile long road connecting Interstate 80 to the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center east of Sparks. The Nevada Department of Transportation will extend the Parkway by more than 12 miles to reach U.S. 50 near Silver Springs. The approximately 18 mile long, four lane state roadway between Interstate 80 and U.S. 50 will further link the greater Reno/Sparks and Fernley/Fallon areas with the U.S. 50 Silver Springs corridor, enhancing regional mobility and creating an additional route for commuter, freight and other traffic. The road will also help support regional economic development and serve as another route in the event of emergency or weather related road closures.
The project is projected to reduce travel times by as much as 38% for those traveling between U.S. 50 and I-80 in Storey and Lyon counties.
At this time Major earthwork is approximately 50 percent complete, with nearly 1.3 million cubic yards of earth already moved to make way for the future freeway. Crews have also paved the first segment of future roadway from the end of the existing, paved USA Parkway to the Lyon County Line.
Construction on the 75.9 million project by design build contractor Ames Construction will continue through late 2017 with:
- Continuing earthwork and excavation to create the new roadway alignment * Installation of two wildlife under crossings and roadside animal fencing to enhance safety by decreasing chance of vehicle wildlife collisions
- Construction of a roundabout at the future USA Parkway/U.S. 50 intersection in Silver Springs
- Final roadway paving, striping, drainage, signage and guardrail.
Periodic single lane closures will continue on the existing USA Parkway during weekday daytime hours for installing additional guardrail and grading roadside slopes. The USA Parkway extension is expected to open for travel in late
BENEFITS TO HOUSING
- Currently home prices are very reasonable along the Highway 50 corridor resulting in easier qualifications for First Time Home Buyers
- Lower property taxes in Lyon County, Dayton and Carson City.
- New Home developments will be coming in the near future along the Highway 50 Corridor.